Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Broccoli hummus

First they told us you can make mashed potatoes from cauliflower (for instance, here). Of course, I didn't believe it was going to be any good - until my favorite vegan blogger ever was talking about it as well, and I gave it a try. Ever since, I've been eating super-easy, super-healthy low-carb mashed cauliflower, conveniently prepared in single servings between my microwave and my blender. Pink beet root and orange carrot colored "caulipots" are now among the regulars in my kitchen.

Then they told us about broccoli hummus. I love hummus, but chickpeas, while delicious and protein-rich, also pack a lot of carbs. And I thought, maybe brassica oleracea really is a magical plant: I'll try it.

Believe you me, it's a miracle. The recipe I started with also had zucchini added, which I didn't have on hand and am not a huge fan of anyways - so I forged ahead with just broccoli, and the usual delicious add-ins; garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin.

Ok, maybe it tastes a bit like broccoli. But that's alright with me. I like vegetables.


Broccoli Hummus
(This version doesn't have added oil or salt, because I'm trying to really optimize these days when it comes to nutrition. You might want to throw in a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil, and a bit of salt to taste.)
  • 200g broccoli, steamed
  • 1Tbs tahini
  • 1-2Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • cumin to taste (~1ts)
Now just throw it all in the blender, blend until smooth, and enjoy on crackers, carrots, poppadums, whatever dipping implements you care for.

No comments:

Post a Comment